Shortly after this blog began a Good Housekeeping magazine was delivered to my mailbox. The recipe for SCONES just begged to be included so here it is:
(Makes 12 scones) 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup cold butter, cut up
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 400°; line baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In large bowl stir flour, sugar, baking powder & salt.
3. Cut in cold butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs
4. In separate bowl combine egg, cream & sour cream then add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened
5. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface – knead 12 strokes. Divide in half. Make each half a circle about 6 inches then pat each with oil. Cut each circle into six wedges.
6. Place wedges 2” apart on baking sheet. Brush with cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 12 – 14 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Cool on wire rack.
(NOTE: You can add your favorite stir-ins, such as ½ cup copped fruit or toasted nuts.)