After retirement many of my co-workers keep in touch with me through emails and facebook. AND oh my gosh one guy (Tom Powell) who - in my opinion -was the most unlikely person to share a whole gang of interesting helpful hints sent these one morning. They are good enough to share so here they are. (I wish I could remember these hints when I need them!)
· To make terrific scrambled eggs or omelets, add a couple of spoonfuls of sour cream, cream cheese, heavy cream, or Fat Free Half & Half before beating them.
· For a super brownie treat, make brownies as directed. Melt Andes mints in double broiler and pour over warm brownies. GREAT mint frosting!
· Newspaper Weeds Away! Put layers of wet newspapers around your garden plants, overlapping as you go. Cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through gardening plastic BUT they will not get through wet newspapers! (I’m totally excited about this tip because the weeds absolutely took over my garden this past summer.)
· Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep mosquitoes away.
· Sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The pepper won’t hurt your plants and the squirrels won’t come near it.
· To get something out of a heat register or from under the fridge, add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.
· Use hair conditioner to shave your legs. Not only does it work very well, it leaves your skin really smooth.
· To get rid of pesky fruit flies, fill and mix a small glass with ½” of Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid. Flies are drawn to it and are gone forever!
o Spray on shower door (removes water spots)
o Put on stove top (will be more shinny than ever)
o Protects silver from tarnishing
o Cleans and lubricates guitar strings
o Gets oil spots off concrete driveways
o Gives floors that ‘just-waxed’ sheen without making it slippery
o Keeps flies off cows
o Restores and cleans chalkboards
o Removes lipstick stains
o Loosens stubborn zippers
o Untangles jewelry chains
o Removes stains from stainless steel sinks
o Removes dirt and grime from barbecue grill
o Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing
o Removes tomato stains from clothing
o Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors
o Keeps scissors working smoothly
o Lubricates noisy door hinges (vehicles & in the house)
o Gives play gym slides a shine for super fast slide
o Lubricates gear shift & mower – ease of handling riding mower
o Lubricates tracks in home windows
o Spraying umbrella stem makes it easy to open and close
o Keeps rust from forming on tools
o Removes splattered grease on stove
o Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging
o Removes all traces of duct tape
o Spray arms/hands/knees to relieve arthritis pain
o Spray a little on bait when fishing (not allowed in some states)
o Keeps chiggers away
o Takes sting away from fire ant bites
o Removes crayon from walls
o Removes scuff marks from floor
o Remove bug guts from car before they ruin the finish
Who would think this has so many uses?