FIRE UP THE GRILL.... LET'S EAT!!!
This is the season for outdoor cooking on the grill. It is time to save the kitchen mess. I strongly recommend we all remember the following:
· Make sure the grill is clean and oiled (vegetable oil)
· Wash your hands before handling the meat
· Use an internal instant read thermometer (Amazon has them for less than $20 or you can find one at a hardware store)
· High temps in the grill cause shrinkage and decreases tenderness
HAMBURGER ON THE GRILL 1 pound ground beef (80/20) Salt/Pepper to taste (and garlic) Buns and extras (cheese, onion, tomato, etc)
1. Preheat grill on high. Clean and oil grill (vegetable oil).
2. Start with 1 pound 80/20 burger. Divide into 1/3 pound balls. They are the size of a tennis ball.
3. Pat gently into 3/4 inch thick 4 inch patties Do not compress the meat
4. Give them a good sprinkle of salt and pepper on both sides
5. Press a one inch round 1/4 inch deep indentation into the center of one side (this allows even cooking).
6. Grill over direct heat with closed lid. Flip after 5 minutes. (Flip once if possible. Don't poke or keep flipping) Ready when internal temp is 165⁰
7. Grill another 3-4 minutes and check the temperature. Get to 165⁰ then add cheese for about 30-60 seconds
8. Brown the buns while cheese is melting
9. Serve right away
WHAT ABOUT STEAK????
Select 1 ½” – 2” thick rib eye (preferred; however you can use any cut)
Season* both sides then place in plastic bag and refrigerate 30 minutes – 2 hours
Grill on medium heat
Internal temps 135⁰ - Rare 145⁰ - Medium 155⁰ - Well (USDA recommends 145⁰ for food safety)
Let set about 5 minutes for juices to settle before serving * Season with just salt/pepper OR rub with oil on both sides then rub in mixture of sweet paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic powder OR use your favorite mix.
SALMON ON THE GRILL
· 1 pound fresh salmon filet
· 1 tsp. salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
· ½ cup lemon juice
· Liquid margarine spray
1. Prepare fresh salmon by sprinkling with salt-free lemon pepper seasoning.
2. Squeeze small amount of lemon juice over the fish
3. Spray with 3-r sprites of liquid margarine spray
4. Place on preheated grill and cook over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes or until fish reaches 131⁰ (USDA recommends 145⁰)
CHICKEN ON THE GRILL
CAUTION: Raw chicken can be deadly! Wash any and all surfaces chicken has touched with strong cleanser.
· Place fresh chicken breasts in a plastic bag and pound with meat pounder to make pieces even in thickness
· Lime juice - Rub in well on both sides (lime juice is a natural tenderizer)
· Season generously on both sides with your choice of seasoning
· Grill on medium heat 7 – 8 minutes on each side (to internal temperature of 165⁰)
· Place butter over top and let settle for 4-5 minutes before serving